Home Page

Requirements for the Course



Requirements for the Course


Entry Requirements


  • An undergraduate degree at class 2:2 or above, or equivalent.
  • Grade 4 (C) or above in English, Maths and Science, or equivalent qualification (we will consider candidates with pending GCSEs).
  • We will also consider candidates who need to take a GCSE equivalency test in English, Maths or Science.


Further Requirements


    WCPA are seeking individuals who are passionate about working with young people, demonstrate and apply the skills of organisation, flexibility, reflection, evaluation and action to all aspects of the course and their career.


    In addition, candidates should possess:


    • The skills to support the Catholic ethos of schools and the education of the children.
    • Effective communication skills.
    • Determination to succeed.
    • A readiness to listen and share.
    • A flexible approach to learning/teaching.
    • Knowledge of the subject specific curriculum.
    • The ability to communicate clearly, fluently and accurately in spoken and written Standard English.
    • A good reference.
    • Evidence of experiences of the world of work outside of education.
    • Range of interests and skills.
    • Other experiences of working with children, young people and/or adults.
    • Applicants must complete forms requesting an Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS. In addition, you will be required to disclose previous offences.
    • Admission to the course is subject to a satisfactory medical report, as you are required to meet the standards for Fitness to Teach. We have a wide range of facilities to meet the needs of students with special needs and disabilities. You are welcome to discuss any special needs or disabilities with us at any time during, or after the application process.


    Other Requirements


    International Candidates


    You will need the right to study in the UK.

    You already have this if, for example, you:


    • are an Irish citizen.
    • have settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme (you may still be able to apply).
    • have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.


    If you do not already have the right to study in the UK, you may need to apply for a visa. The main visa for fee-paying courses (those that you have to pay for) is the Student visa.


    To apply for a Student visa, you’ll need to be sponsored by your training provider.

    Sponsorship is not available for this course.


    Alternatively, check if you’re eligible for a different type of visa, such as a Graduate or Family visa, that allows you to train to be a teacher without being sponsored.


    Find out more about training to teach in England.


    International Qualifications


    If your qualifications come from a non-UK institution, we may want to see a ‘statement of comparability’ from UK ENIC. This will show us how they compare to UK qualifications.

    You can call Get Into Teaching on 0800 389 2500 for:


    • guidance on the UK equivalents of your qualifications.
    • a free statement of comparability once you’ve submitted your application (if we ask you for this).


    Training with Disabilities & Other Needs


    Disability or specific learning difficulty does not preclude application to study for qualifications in teaching. However, students who choose these courses are required to comply with the Fitness to Practise policies of the bodies which govern the respective professions (Department for Education). The Department for Education and Employment place a responsibility upon education and training providers to make sure that everyone who is registered as a Teacher is ‘physically and mentally fit’ to undertake the work they are training to do. Applicants are thus required to declare conditions which could be viewed as having a potential impact on their fitness to practice. Advice, guidance and support for applicants and students is available from the Education Department and also the Learning Support Team at Liverpool Hope University.