We explored different joining techniques: gluing, using joining strips, taping and stapling.
We talked about safety and used special gloves to protect our hands. We evaluated our project throughout the whole process and were pleased with the end result.
Design and technology is a practical subject, which allows children to make sense of appliances and processes in their environment, primarily through first hand experience and exploration. It allows children to develop life skills through their own planning, designing and making. At St Patrick's, Design Technology is taught through problem solving activities. Children work through the Design Technology process of research, design, manufacture and evaluation as cross curricular challenges.
Through design and technology children are given opportunities to :
· develop their designing and making skills
· develop their knowledge and understanding
· develop their capability to create high quality products through combining their designing and making skills and knowledge and understanding
· nurture creativity and innovation through designing and making
· explore values about and attitudes to the made world and how we live and work within it
· develop an understanding of technological processes, products, and their manufacture, and their contribution to society.
Design Technology in Early Years
Autumn 2 Project - Year 1
Our project this term was to design a vehicle.
-We have been exploring war artefacts so some children decided to design and built an army vehicle.
- Others decided to do a more colourful vehicle and designed a 'party bus.'
- First we put all ideas into a simple plan and made notes about the things we will need to make it.
- We used a vehicle construction kit to make the main body.
- Then we added the axle and wheels.
- Finally we thought about decoration. Some children chose a camouflage design for the desert. Others chose to camouflage for the forest. We also had a few vibrant 'party buses.'
- Once completed, we tested our vehicle to see if it moved. Most did !!!
- We evaluated our design project and made a few minor improvements.